Let's take a look at the different levels you can achieve
Stage 1 | Building
Teams in this stage are just getting their feet under them with using Workiva to solve specific reporting problems. They are adopting new processes for their team and partnering with Workiva to import their data and documentation, and to set up linking.
This stage typically represents a single use case—one that is just starting to leverage the power of the larger platform while working closely with a CSM to implement best practices and understand how peers are achieving targeted business outcomes. This stage is an exciting and critical step to beginning to realize the true potential of Workiva at your organization. It's crucial to capitalize on this momentum and move to the next stage of maturity.
Stage 2 | Organizing
Teams in this stage are discovering new capabilities and organizing their work in a way that works best for them. They are taking advantage of editing and documenting tools such as:
- Track changes—allow reviewers to edit inline while maintaining the integrity of documents or spreadsheets
- Revision history and milestones—follow how a document has changed over its lifetime and how to mark certain revisions at a point in time for later reference
- Outline labels—color code sections by status and owners for quick visual reference
- Attachments—put an end to disconnected email attachments and shared file drives with attachments to any document, presentation, or spreadsheet
- Folders—organize documents by reporting period/team/owner for easy access
- Office importers—import directly from Microsoft® Office while maintaining the formatting of documents
Microsoft Office is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Stage 3 | Growing
In this stage, Workiva is becoming the primary tool for managing all reports and processes within the team’s scope. The initial value of editing and documenting tools is inspiring teams to add more users, teams, and test out additional use cases. In doing so, they are leveraging next generation collaboration tools as a way to work across larger teams and across processes.
- Multiple workspaces and roles—bring in additional teams, designate a user’s access with roles, and use workspaces to create separate spaces for teams to collaborate
- Permission groups—use groups to make updating users permissions more efficient over time with employee role changes, hires, and departures
- Commenting and tasking—provide feedback with directed comments, use filters to navigate between contributors and open and resolved comments, and track the process with tasking
- Filtered views and spreadsheet overlays—see the data in a way that’s most useful without impacting others
- Send for review—provide a secure, controlled, auditable environment in which users can send drafts of sensitive files to internal and external stakeholders and collect comments that flow back to the live document
- Certifications—allow users to gather and track signoffs on a repeatable basis in one central area, send automated reminder emails, and download evidence of review
Stage 4 | Optimizing
At this point, collaboration is a breeze, and value is being discovered in additional solutions. They're not only working more efficiently, they're finding ways to optimize their work with more advanced features.
- Connected sheets—connect data across sheets while controlling when the data is published
- Spreadsheet templates—spend less time setting up spreadsheets from scratch by using templates
- Subcell linking and multiple paragraph linking—use advanced linking to connect multiple numbers in a single cell, or link multiple paragraphs for easier updates across reporting periods or different entities
- Style guides—leverage style guides for consistent layouts and document design
- Presentation templates—create presentations from templates for consistency across all presentations and to meet marketing standards
Stage 5 | Automating
Teams in this stage are operating at the next level by becoming more connected. They are deepening the ties between Workiva and their other systems to gain further efficiency with automated processes
- Wdata chains—connect directly to your source systems and other applications to automate data flow and deliver valuable insights easily
- Data preparation with Wdata - explore large volumes of data with our query builder and build robust reports with pivots, views, and charts
- Wdata connections—connect unified data from Wdata to Spreadsheets, where users can also set parameters to control the flow of data using a wide variety of Wdata Connections
- Integrate with APIs—flow data from CRMs, SCIM, HR, and procurement systems, data warehouses, and more
- Workiva integrations—file with Business Wire, prepare proxy with Argyle, integrate with BlackLine, Broadridge®, Workday®, and more
All product names and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners. All company, product, and service names used are for identification purposes only.