Tips for Successful Virtual Interviewing
Interviewing can be a stressful event in a professional’s life. Whether it’s for an upper-level position or a complete change in your career path, the process is often intimidating. In our current environment, traditional in-person interviews might not be possible, so both candidates and employers need to be prepared for virtual video job interviews. Whether you are interviewing with Workiva or another company, here are a few tips to help you have a successful virtual interview.
Prepare and Practice
- Download and practice on all two-way video platforms: Zoom, WebEx, Teams, Skype, Google Hangouts, etc.
- Test your video and audio connection.
- Be on time - test your login 5 minutes ahead of time.
- Be sure your Wi-Fi connection is stable and test the connectivity strength in advance.
Choose the Right Location
- Chose a location where you can minimize distractions and background noise.
- Pick a place with a single-color background or a background that is not too busy or distracting.
- Consider the lighting: to minimize shadows, the lighting should be in front of you. Face a window or a light source.
Dress for Success
- Dress as professionally as you would for an in-person interview.
- Avoid whites, bright colors and busy patterns.
During the Interview
- Take a few deep breaths in advance to calm the nerves and try not to fidget.
- Position yourself 3 feet from the camera.
- Camera position should be straight on or angled slightly downward.
- Maintain good posture and eye contact.
- Prepare questions in advance - this shows your interest in the opportunity and gives you a chance to ensure you have a true understanding of what it will take to be successful.
About the Author
Amanda Crowley, Senior Director of Talent Acquisition, leads the talent acquisition strategy and teams at Workiva. Amanda lives in Scottsdale and enjoys working out and being a Mom to her two boys, Kieran and Aiden.