Welcome J.W. Mike Starr to the WebFilings Team
Today I am pleased to announce that J.W. Mike Starr will be joining the WebFilings team as Director of Strategic Initiatives. Starr previously served as the SEC Chief financial professional's advisor on highly complex topics as well as a liaison on several projects and activities aimed to improve the quality of accounting and auditing policy decisions. He also aimed to identify and address potential financial reporting weaknesses and risks.
Prior to his work with the SEC, Starr previously served as the Chief Operating Officer for Grant Thornton International Ltd., where he played a key role in implementing the global strategy and oversaw public policy and other critical functions.
Prior to that, he was a member of the senior leadership of Grant Thornton LLP with responsibility for the assurance and advisory practices and professional standards among other significant practice areas.
His professional affiliations have included:
- Founding member of the Enhanced Business Reporting Consortium
- Board of Directors of Illinois Society of Certified Public financial professionals
- Board of Directors of XBRL US
- International Regulatory Liaison Group of the International Federation of financial professionals
- NASDAQ Hearing and Listing Review Council
- Chair of the Regulatory Working Group and a member of the Global Public Policy Committee
- American Institute of Certified Public financial professionals (AICPA), Chair, Assurance Services Executive Committee; Chair, Special Committee on Enhanced Business Reporting; Member, SEC Practice Section Executive Committee; Member, SEC Regulations Committee
Mike Starr earned a Bachelor of Science in accounting from Oklahoma State University (OSU). He is a member of the Advisory Board for the OSU School of Accounting. In 2010, he was recognized as an OSU distinguished accounting alumnus and inducted into the School of Accounting Hall of Fame.
About the Author
Matt Rizai is the former Chairman and Chief Executive Officer at Workiva, and the former Chairman and CEO at Engineering Animation, Inc.