They know who I am, they know my name, they know what we have been going through, they are interested in my story. It’s a connection with the people who work at Workiva.
—Rex Roberts, Sr. Director of Business and Process Controls, 2U
The Exchange Community conference is many things—a hub of education, an industry networking event, a place to mingle with thought leaders, and a way to get 15 CPE credits in just three days—but it's even more than that.
For the past three years, The Exchange Community, also known as TEC, has also been connecting Wdesk users with Workiva software developers to make their dreams a reality.
These dreams come to life in the Idea Lab and are guided by the mantra: users are the best people to know what we should be building. The Idea Lab was conceived to give Wdesk users the opportunity to share their ideas and work together one-on-one with Workiva interaction designers, product managers, and developers to improve Wdesk. If one person has the idea for a desired feature or an improvement to an existing feature, it's likely that many others also have the same idea.
The way it works is simple:
- Wdesk users are invited to stop by the Idea Lab during TEC to create a sketch of their idea either on paper or on an iPad in the booth.
- After submitting an idea, the user is paired with an interaction designer who will mock up the idea within Wdesk to show what it would look like within the app as if it had been created.
- These designs are printed and hung around the Idea Lab. All TEC attendees are then encouraged to vote on the idea they would most like to see incorporated into Wdesk.
After the conference ends, the developers get to work making these requests a reality.
In past years, we have received hundreds of feature requests through the Idea Lab—many of which have already been implemented within Wdesk. A couple of the features that are currently available for users to take advantage of are:
- Increasing the number of keyboard shortcuts available within Wdesk to speed up workflow and improve the user experience
- Multi-document interfaces, including a single browser tab that shows two different documents in a split view, and the ability to copy and paste from one browser tab into another browser tab
Check out these features and others that have been requested within Wdesk. Make your voice heard— attend The Exchange Community 2017 in Las Vegas, Sept. 19–21 at the MGM Grand, and be sure to stop by the Idea Lab to submit your ideas!